The objective of this scheme is to provide ‘Solar Street Lighting Systems’ for public use, for demonstration and replication, which will help in popularizing solar energy in a big way. The Scheme will cover rural, semi urban and urban areas.
It is proposed to involve Hon’ble Members of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha in the first phase
of the scheme. Their understanding of the needs and aspirations of the local people and their guidance
in implementation will be very useful. They will also be requested to part fund the scheme through
their Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS).
It is proposed to install Solar Street Lighting Systems in rural, semi urban and urban areas in the states where household electrification is less than 50% as per 2011 Census. Five states namely Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh fall in this category.
Implementing Agency: - Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, has appointed Energy Efficiency Services Limited (A Joint Venture Company of PSUs of Ministry of Power, Govt. of India) as implementing agency for the scheme in above States.
75% of the cost of Solar Street Lighting System through MNRE budget, and the remaining 25% should be provided from MPLADS Funds, Panchayat Funds or Municipalities and other Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) Funds.
a). 5 years of Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) would be provided by the Implementing Agency, who have to ensure the overall maintenance of the Solar Street Lighting Systems by the suppliers for 5 years.
b).Bank Guarantee (BG) of 5% of the award amount with a validity of 1 year, to be rolled over every
year for the first five years, will be given by the suppliers of the system.
c). In case service is not provided by the supplier or the system is not working properly or supplier fails
to repair or replace the faulty systems within the time specified in the tender, the BG may be encashed to
‘’ATAL JYOTI YOJANA” repair or replace the systems as may be required. In case the supplier fails to repair or replace the faulty systems within the time specified in the tender, MNRE will have the right to black list the supplier for
Handing over of Assets:
Solar Street Lighting Systems will be handed over to the Panchayat/ Municipality/ ULBs / State
Government / Government Organisations as the case may be and State Nodal Agencies (SNAs) will be
informed of the same. Panchayat/ Municipality/ ULBs/State Government/Government Organisations
will give an undertaking for maintenance of the systems. Effort will be made to find a custodian for
each Solar Street Lighing Systems.
MNRE is the competent to make any amendments to the Scheme for better implementation on receiving a report from the Implementation Committee and with the approval of the Minister-In-Charge or Secretary.